A party boat became jammed under the Sunrise Boulevard bridge in Fort Lauderdale on the evening of Saturday Nov 20. Footage shows the 137-foot long, three-tiered vessel wedged underneath the Sunrise Boulevard Bridge in Florida.
While there were no apparent injuries Mark Addison, who filmed the video, said partiers could be heard screaming as they made their way down from the top deck.
“You could hear things crunching. They had a party on board, so the whole upper deck was full of people when it started going up underneath the bridge. People were screaming,” he said.
The 137-foot party yacht got wedged under Fort Lauderdale’s busy Sunrise Boulevard Bridge and a neighbor recorded the spectacle after hearing screaming passengers and a loud crunching noise.
The Sun Dream was attempting to dock at the Doubletree Suites hotel next to the Intracoastal when the boat slammed into the bridge. The crew blamed it on wind gusts and a mechanical problem. Apparently they had some transmission problems and the boat got away from them. A boat like that might weigh around 100 tons. And it doesn’t stop easily.
Watch the video below by Mark Addison, the neighbor who filmed the video and narrated the accident.
We are sending the Sun Dream Yatch charters crew our best wishes of recovery. No one got hurt.
The boat probably took more of a hit than the bridge
At a low speed I would suspect the damage would be minimal. I would think the boat took the brunt of the damage. Bridges are built really solid and boats are built light. So the boat’s going to be the loser. Bob Brantmeyer, president of Sun Dream Yacht Charters confirmed a mechanical problem was what caused the accident, which does not happen often.
City officials initially told the South Florida Sun Sentinel they were unsure whether the bridge had been damaged. But late Sunday, Fort Lauderdale City Manager Chris Lagerbloom said state officials told him they’d already been out to inspect the bridge and found no damage.
The company website for Sun Dream Yacht Charters says the family-owned business has been hosting weddings, holiday parties and elegant celebrations for more than 32 years.
The SunDream yatch: 137 Foot Custom Luxury Charter Yacht
The Sun Dream Yacht Charters is a family owned and operated business. We offer extensive experience in hosting special events, celebrations, corporate parties, and weddings. We have hosted elegant affairs and corporate events on our fleet of luxury yachts for over 32 years.
- Accommodates between 16 and 149 guests
- 1,000 sq. ft. open-air observation deck
- Custom decorated main salon features a dance floor, full bar, large windows and dramatic lighting
- Dining salon with spectacular water views and a baby grand piano
- Luxurious bridal stateroom with private powder room
- Outdoor deck with second full bar
- State-of-the-art sound system
Go support Sun Dream at https://www.sundreamyachts.com/about-us
- Seawall Erosion and Prevention efforts to detain rising waters - October 27, 2023
- The Galveston Seawall: A Monument of Resilience, Tourism, and Coastal Engineering - October 24, 2023
- Fishing in Florida: A Beginner’s Guide to Enjoying the Sunshine State’s Waters - October 19, 2023